Trusted, Reliable And Compassionate Legal Advocacy
  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Criminal Defense
  4.  → Underage Drinking

Defending High School And College Students Against An Underage Consumption Charge In South Carolina

If you are a college student at Columbia College or the University of South Carolina, you no doubt worked hard to get where you are at this point in your education. If you are a high school student in Richland County or the surrounding community, you are probably thinking about what comes next for you in life. Getting charged with the illegal purchase, possession or consumption of alcohol or having a fake ID can derail your future. Koon Cook & Walters, LLC, was founded in 1991, and our experienced team of criminal justice defense attorneys has the necessary resources and knowledge to successfully defend clients charged with underage drinking charges.

The Underage Drinking Laws In South Carolina

A minor in possession of alcohol charge (MIP) is a misdemeanor in South Carolina. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t serious. MIPs can have fines of $100 to $200 and up to 30 days in jail. A minor who misrepresents their age with a fake ID faces the same potential fines and jail time. But even more important, an underage drinking charge can result in expulsion or loss of financial support like scholarships. A conviction for an underage consumption can also affect your ability to drive, as your driver’s license could be suspended, especially if a there is also a pending DUI charge. In addition, a criminal record could affect future job opportunities and will come up in a background check for future apartment or housing applications or job applications.

At Koon Cook & Walters, LLC, our criminal defense attorneys have been practicing law in the community for decades. We are well-respected in the Columbia legal community. We will advocate fiercely for any underage client’s best interests with the goal of preserving their future and keeping their opportunities intact.

Protect Your Future And Hire An Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney For Your Underage Drinking Charges

If you or your child has been charged with an underage consumption or the illegal purchase or possession of alcohol, don’t wait. Call us today at 803-991-0685 or send an email through our online form to request a free, initial consultation. We will help you or your child fight this charge and protect their future.